Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions of Omega's wireless devices- do you calibrate them yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidd31415

Electrical
Nov 23, 2001
US
Does anyone have experience with Omega's wireless transducers?

I'm looking at the temperature, relative humidity, and pressure transducers to possibly replace chart recorders and keep a history of laboratory test equipment environments.

I'm concerned about how well the OPC Server software works in integrating the devices with LabVIEW, how well the devices transmit, if it is possible to repeat/boost the signal, and how difficult it would be to calibrate these devices myself.

Thanks for any feedback,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To me the Omega equipment does not look very robust, especially in an industrial setting. Have you had a look at Accutech? We've got a dozen or so temperature transmitters now working well.

Believe me, it will pay to read the spec sheet closely before buying.

I ran into one wireless RTD temperature transmitter for which the accuracy is stated as:

Accuracy: ±0.10% of range in mV at reference conditions for linear inputs and RTDs

When I called the manufacturer to find out how to interpret such an odd spec, specifically how one relates mV to an RTD transmitter, I couldn't get an answer. The supplier doesn't know. The promised call back never materialized.

It's the wild west out there for industrial wireless.

It's apparent that some companies entering the market are throwing stuff together, hoping the buyers won't notice that the seller hasn't a clue about the performance of their products.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back