Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Origins turned on in sketch? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamaz17

Automotive
Aug 20, 2004
CA
Does anyone know how to set origins to visible when in a sketch? I want them on when sketching but off when no longer in sketch mode.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jamaz17,

I believe you will have to select View, Origins when you are in the sketch and select View, Origins when you exit the sketch.

SA

I ask because everything worked well before I upgraded to 3.0 from 2.2 It did work the way we wanted it to but SW seems to have changed this? Is anyone else having the same issue?

I have never seen it the way you describe and I don't know of a way to have different settings for sketch and model modes. The View settings affect all modes.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

I do have one more question though and I think I may be asking for the best of both worlds. Now I can see the red origin in sketch mode but I cannot pick it with the mouse on screen as I could before (or at least I think I could). Is there another option for allowing selection of the origin?

PS It seems I can add automatic relation with the origin by dragging a point of a box (or whatever) over top of it but cannot pick them separate. I hope that makes sense.

SolidAir ...

Using the "save as template" method permanently hides the origin in the "non-sketch" mode but leaves it visible in the active sketch mode; which does answer the OP.

Using the View method affects all modes.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

Yeah I can select it from the FM tree.. it's just not 'ideal' I thought that maybe there was something I didn't have turned on.

They are the same thing by default and seem to be different only if a copied sketch is inserted and moved, or other such activity has happened. (Right?) I never seem to have a problem with multiple origin locations--a differing location between sketch and part origin.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

SolidAir ... I was referring to the main model origin. The sketch origin isn't really an origin. It is not selectable for sketching, dimensioning or AFAIK, anything else. It appears to only be used to hang the graphical representation of the co-ordinate system (the red arrows) from for that particular sketch.

When creating a new sketch, the default position is over the main model origin. If you use the Modify Sketch command to move sketch elements, the sketch origin will move relatively; but it is effectively useless for positioning sketch elements.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

Jamaz17, try making sure your sketch plane is normal to your computer monitor before selecting the origin inside a sketch. That always solves that issue for me.

As CorBlimeyLimey stated, the only selectable origin is the model origin. If you have the model origin hidden you cann't select it. When in a sketch you cann't select the red origin which is the sketch origin, you have to select the blue origin which is the model origin, in order to establish a relation.

Hope this clears things up!

B. Long
P 4 2.80 GHz
2.5 Gig Ram
Solidworks Office 2007 Sp. 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back