Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSB wording on the plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calc1

Structural
Feb 24, 2005
US
I am not sure how to put the wording on the plan so contractor have the obtion to use OSB instead of plywood, anyone has an example of the structure note, I know that NER 108 but I am intersted on wording of it so there would not be any legal issues later on.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will have a note, if appropriate, in my sheathing schedule to the affect, "APA rated plywood or APA rated OSB is okay to use as sheathing". Theoretically plywood or OSB with the same rating from APA are the same. There may be some issues with product integrity (delamination), but either should perform as intended.

I agree. Just put APA rated sheathing and any requirements. Let the contractor pick the exact product. No different than specifying a metal connector to have a capacity of XXlb and follow all manufacturers specs.

Thanks, don't you have to specify any testing or PS2-92,
someone told me to specify PS2-92 or NER 108 to make sure it is equivalent ot plywood since UBC do not specify OSB on the table.

I call for either osb or plywood as long as it is APA Rated. I also provide the span rating and nailing requirements (both in the field and on the edges and perimeter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back