Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Other conduit sealing compounds? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfieldguy

Electrical
Sep 20, 2006
US
I was posed the question by a manager this morning as to whether there were other, not water-activated, sealing compounds that could be used in the place of 'chico' water-mixed compound in sealing fittings for use in classified areas.

I seem to remember some discussion of these some years ago, but I see nothing on the market.

And help?

old field guy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally no. See NEC Section 501.15(C)(1). It may not be immediately obvious but it is the fittings that are primarily "listed" and most seal manufacturers have their products listed with their own proprietary sealing compound. In other words, if a compound manufacturer claims their product is listed for all seals, it may be, but the seal fitting itself still requires the proprietary sealing compound for the overall seal to be compliant.

On the other hand, certain boundary seals for Class I, Division 2 [501.15(B)(2)]aren’t required to be explosionproof (or listed).

I have used explosion-proof cable glands that have a two-part epoxy compound for sealing.

As rbalex says, you have to get the sealing compound along with the sealing fitting. The fitting and compound are listed together as a system.

Crouse Hinds has an expanding sealing compound that does not require the use of packing fiber in horizontal applications. I don't think it is a water based product but am not sure. I have not tried it but probably will sometime as it appears it would save a lot of labor. I think when it first came out it was only for Class 2 applications, but now I see it is listed for Class 1, groups C and D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back