Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our network design

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcatmatt

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2005
US
We had our SW VAR come down and evaulate our network setup. They told us we need a dedicated server. I want to run it past you pro's.

Details -
8 Designers
SW 2007 x64 SP5
Fiber optic line running down to the server 2000? feet away
1 gig lines from PCs running to the fiber optic hub
1 gig ethernet cards in PCs

Server details -
2 terabites total space
1.8 terabites are taken up
approx 1 terabite is our design stuff
.8 terabite is other stuff that other empoyees are using for their own purposes (not design related)

We are always opening assemblies of 4-6,000 components
We are always searching to see where else a file is used

We do not use any sort of PDM and seem to have alot of problem getting work to pay for it. So for the moment we want to stick with the system we have and make sure we have the right setup to make it as fast as possible.

Suggestions?

The pros told us we have a straw going into a lake and have 8 people trying to drink out of it. They said having the sever right here in our group and only us running off from it will make us alot faster and alot more stable. We are all currently crashing (at the same time due to network failure) 2 times (or more) a day.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest a dedicated server for SolidWorks data only.
I worked at a company where it was shared with other departments. When they run reports, copy/move data or do updates, it affects the SW users. I have seen where an update to another application requires reboot, then the SW users are disconnected until start-up...sometimes losing connections.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

^ I agree. A gigabit connection is no straw. Just going off the information from the VAR.

Is a gigabit connection a "straw" when alot of people have big assemblies going at one time?

Further opinions are appreciated.

Also, running fiber-optic from the server may be stopping at a j-box or hub, then some other type of data line to you pc, slowing down connections. Check to make sure data lines are not running next power.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

Upgrade your seats to SW pro and use PDMworks. The price increase and yearly maint. costs are not that much. Install the PDMserver on a unused computer with a fairly large HD and back it up the vault onto the network everynight, or install it on a current server in the IT closet. In comparison to purchasing a new server and the setup suggested it would proably take you a few years before your costs would be equal. You can try to use the other benifits of Pro over SW standard to help justify the cost.

Thanks for all the replys

We have been told a million times by various sources to get a PDM works. We currently have teamcenter for our unigraphics department and we are looking at an implementation package.

Problem is getting the company to pay for it.

Arctic, I sympathize with your dilemma. We are in a very similar situation, only with 30 users at one of our sites (over 100 across 5 sites) and we have the benefit of an Engineering Sub-net (which made a significant improvement in consistent performance). I have found that the good people at SW are not too sympathetic with LAN operations, and seem to only want to support Vaulted operations. We are in the process of benchmarking LAN vs PDM operations and so far there is not a huge performance increase to justify the expense of a PDM. There is the unknown (and very difficult to benchmark) potential improvement in stability by working local via the Vault, which is enticing...however, the single biggest reason we are considering a PDM solution is to be in line with SW's recommendation so we can get improved support from them. It's sort-of-a tough situation.

Keep us informed of your decision...

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

PDM Works is 100% out of the question according to the boss because other plants would need to purchase it also.

The company I work for has locations in just about every country in the world.

Occasionaly they gain access to our prints. Currently, we are using team center for some applications but we have not applied it to our solidworks files yet.

If we stick with teamcenter then our other factories can have access to our files without having to pay for PDMworks.

It is kind of a joke how we are not using any sort of PDM. As I type this I have a 5,000+ part assembly on my other screen, and they are all located in folders on the network.

Well, there is PDMWorks Enterprise then; and Activault (which is now billing itself as PDMWorks Enterprise for the price of PDMWorks Workgroup.

I'm not sure why PDMWorks would be out of the question though. I use it remotely from time to time with no issues. You can get up special portals with VPN access. There's no need for additional licenses unless access is happening constantly.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back