Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Output reading Load cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

themroc

Chemical
Sep 7, 2006
GB
We are in the process of purchasing a load cell in order to meassure tension force.

The Excitation Voltage is 10 VDC
and it states Rated Output (R.O.): 3 mV/V nominal

We are interested in the 100 lbs capacity range.
Would that mean at 100lbs my output signal is 10V

How do I have to interpret the 3mV/V rated output.
Can someone explain?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 10 volts excitation, the full load output (of the cell only) would be 30 mV. You then would amplify that output with a load cell conditioner to get a higher voltage.

Why would a voltmeter not do the same job.
I was intending to use a data aquisition system, which I think takes readings in this range to record the loads?
:)

You could use a voltmeter. Generally you would want your amplifier to also supply the 10 volts of excitation. The more expensive conditioner/amplifier/excitation sources would allow you to compensate for an excitation voltage that drifted a bit from the 10.0 volts (source sensing).

If you have enough bits in your data acquisition system's a/d and not much noise on the signal then you could work direct with the 30 mV max ouput.

Standard Analog Input of Data Acquisition systems has resolution 10bit or less. Therefore using load cell output directly isn't good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back