Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outsourcing MEP engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airostech

Electrical
Mar 26, 2015
US
Looking for opinions on outsourcing engineering and estimating services. I am a electrical construction manager, in California, currently unemployed. My most recent employer was a young entrepreneur with a degree in construction management. He introduced me to outsourcing our estimating. I worked for him for about two years and developed a great relationship with a young Registered Electrical Engineer in the Philippines. This guy did great work, doing all of our estimating and some engineering. Since I have been laid off from this company (cash flow problems) the engineer in the Philippines has approached me and proposed I represent his firm here in the United States. He provides HVAC and plumbing services besides. I do not like seeing American jobs outsourced to other countries, so this is a difficult time for me. I'm not finding employment as an aging construction manager and could make a better future for myself, and many people Philippines. I see cost advantages to contractors and engineering firms here in the U.S.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personal opinion....lousy idea. If you are signing and sealing anything you will have a tough time convincing your state board that you can provide adequate supervision and be in responsible charge of the engineering if outsourced. Further, I think it hurts our economy and undermines other US professionals trying to make a living providing those services.

There are plenty of firms that you can source to in the US. However, you need to protect yourself and your family. There may be issues, as stated above, if you will be sealing documents that there is really no way you could supervise. Actually, if you have an email chain of drawings and comments getting passed back regularly, that may help you with some type of supervision.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back