Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Overhead Crane wheel standards/allowances 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiamondDave

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2009
GB
Can anyone direct me to a website or give me information regarding crane wheel standards and acceptable wear. Especially for the flanges.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh I actually already had
that ISO document saved as I managed to get it through university. Helpful but it doesnt seem to have anything relating to flange wear. Cheers guys

Flange wear of steel wheels running on steel rails is a really complicated thing. You need to be concerned about the interface between rail and wheel. Looking at only one side of the interface is not good enough.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Honestly I think there are lots of problems i dont know where to begin with our cranes.

On this particular crane a drive wheel outer flange recently collapsed after what looks like excessive wearing and allowed the wheel to roll over the rail onto the opposite side. I have just been up and checked the wheel diagnoally opposite it also has wear on its outer flange well past the 50% allowance

It suggests to me skewing. I also believe im hearing lots of creaking and popping noises which I havent noticed before.

I want to be in a position to diagnose problems properly and suggest the proper solutions.

Ive been told the rails were recently realigned so that shouldnt be the issue. Id like to check the drive assembly for backlash that would cause skew as I believe the issue could be routed in here. I believe the wheel diameters should be checked but im unsure how to do this accurately.

The rule of thumb for flange wear is 50 % of original thickness. As the worn wheel can gain a rather sharp edge, skewing can also create significant rail head wear. Since you have experienced a broken flange, you already have a data point for comparison.

This document Diagnosing Bridge Crane Tracking Problems Prepared By Gary J. Davis, P.E. copy attached, provides some general guidance.

Not addressed in the linked document
If you have a wheel with 50% flange wear, you also likely have tread wear.
If the wheel tread is spalling, pealing, or out of round the case hardening has failed. The wheel should be replaced.
Drive wheel circumference must be nearly equal. This is more critical when drive wheels are mechanically linked. A PI tape is a good method for measuring tread diameter.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=34fbe4c7-20b1-48fc-8a37-0c327b86fd9c&file=DiagnosingBridgeCraneTrackingProblems.pdf
Australian Standard AS 1418.1 - 2002 Clause 7.20.3.6 (now superseded and I haven't tracked down if there's a new minimum worn thickness specification in the new standard) has a section that specifically details the minimum worn flange thickness. It is a specification which should be defined in the crane maintenance manual as well. I'm aware this is probably not your 'home' standard but it might help if you don't find anything else of particular assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back