overlapping contact regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgianluca

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2017
IT
Hi,
i'm making a CFD (Fluent simulation) of a battery with a lot of compontents. Around the battery there's an enclosure. This air enclousure is around but also inside the battery (air channels).
There are a lot of contacts beetween the components and after the meshing operations i have overlapping regions. How can i fix it?
I need automatic contact regions for save time because the geometry is complex.
Please help me!
I attached some pictures:
Thanks in advance!!

ps: i decreased the contact tolerance to a low value

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could start by simplifying your model for the analysis, all the detail around the battery contacts will not effect the CFD results and can be removed.

Dear L_K,
so i have to split a single surface in many surfaces to build one contact to contact surface?
The surfaces created in spaceclaim have to be treated through the named selections?
Thanks!

Post a picture of the overlapping contact region please.
Like previous poster mentioned, you should look into
simplifying the geometry more.

ok,i splitted the body as you suggested. The problem now are the bodies that share more contacts. In fact if a body is linked to more bodies it has more contacts. Fluent is able to deal with one body- more body contacts?
What do you suggest? Use named selection to by-pass this problem?
thanks again....

Dear L_k,
attached I post an example of the contact problem that i found makinf "repair overlapping contact" (after the program automatic repairing the contact is suppressed).
In the attached image I have insulated only 1 failed contact.
Consider that i have yet made the following corrective actions:
- Contact tolerance increase (1e-5 mm)
- Geometry facet tolerance increase
- Coupling beetween 1 target face and 1 contact bodies

Due that i have a lot of failed contact maybe i'm missing some important setting.
Please help me!!

Dear L_K i made the thermal analisys through the steady state thermal package (Ansys). Due to the fact that it's not possible calculate the total heat power dissipated from an amount of surfaces (named selection) could you indicate a way to post process the txt results (node numbers, x y z posiztion, node thermal flux,).
Thanks again!!

PS:
do you now a free post processor for this need?

You can get total heat power for all the defined boundary conditions in the model.
You can use user defined results to sum the values if you have several boundary conditions.

If Workbench cannot create directly the result you need, you can script it via APDL.

Please state what you want to output in detail, possibly with some pictures, so we can determine
if scripting is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back