Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

override dimension color 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnikolauk

Automotive
Jul 18, 2011
US
back in my previous job (about 12 years ag)o they had a setting that whenever you manually changed a dimension (override text) the entire dimension would change to a specified color. is there a way to do this in NX 12?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of any out of the box setting that would change the color of manual dimensions for you. There are check mate tests that will flag dimensions with manual text. They may have customized NX to change the color of the manual dimensions. I wrote some such code years ago that would change the dimension value (manual text entry) and color the dimension to flag it as a "slack" dimension.
thread561-373211

www.nxjournaling.com

When the user manually changes the dimension they can change the color of that dimension.
Below is an example of a dimension changed to 955.1 and <k99> changes its color to color number 99.

Capture_tqdmhb.jpg
<k99>

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1961

This may be a thing where the customer would have to set it up by themselves. When we run Checkmate the manually edited dims get flagged and change color on the drawing.

Incidentally, in cases where you want to edit a dim to say something else (like maybe a charted dimension), you can keep it from failing a Checkmate test by adding an attribute to the properties of that dimension. Add a MANUAL_DIM attribute and set the data type to NULL. The dim will show up as an info flag rather than a failure.

Mike

Why would you not want to recognize edited dimensions?

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

There is an old manual test to scan for dimensions with manual text, maybe it's this function Jnikolauk remembers ?

Information - Other - Object specific- Dimensions with manual text.
Overridden dimensions will highlight.

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Not sure if ewh is replying to me or not. If so I didn't say I didn't want to know about them.

In our TeamCenter workflow process for release, if manual dims are detected during the checkmate run, the process cannot move forward. There are legitimate reasons for creating an edited dim and by setting the attribute checkmate recognizes it as such but only gives a warning not an error flag.

One could argue that a person could insidiously edit a dimension to cover up an error in the geometry and set the attribute to cover it up, but in our case that doesn't happen because the person who has the final say on the release (our CAD admin) looks at the drawing on screen and will see the colored dims and investigate if need be before release.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back