Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Override dimension value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenn

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
CA
Hi,
Now, this should be a SUPER, Super simple thing to do, however I cannot seem to locate the function in NX5.

I just want to create a dim(any type), and simply remove the "value" and replace it with whatever I want.

I want this functionality for making presentation type sketches.

Example- Apply a dimension to a slot (shows up on screen as 0.500"), NOW, I want to get rid of the "0.500" and replace it with "mill this area"... You know, for a presentation type exercise.

Now, please don't suggest using a note and please don't suggest appending the text;I would like the dim to be gone.

Thanks,
JAY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't get the dimension to disappear completely, but if you put your "Mill this area" in an annotation and make the dimension text height really small, it looks like there's no dimension. I had to change an dimension value on an existing print without modifying the part and it worked fairly well.

From main menu select, Edit--Annotation--Text (or edit text icon)
Select the dimension
Type your change in the edit box (ok the warning)
Close the edit box, your done.

On the flip side, you can check that dimensions haven't been messed with here: Information -> Other -> Object Specific -> Dimensions with Manual Text

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back