P-delta Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPR Baker

Structural
Nov 12, 2017
KH
Dear All
I am not clear on upper limit of1.4 on the second to primary moment ratio.
M[sub]2nd-order[/sub]=< 1.4M[sub]1st-order[/sub]. the question is which moment ( M[sub]2nd-order[/sub] (Pdelta(big))(Sideway only) or M[sub]2nd-order[/sub] (P delta(big)+delta(small))(Sideway+slenderness effect) )to compare with M[sub]1st-order[/sub]?
Thank you

Pdelta1_ocrb74.png
Pdelta2_yehtpz.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is similar to the AISC limit on second-order amplification (B2 factor) in the Effective Length Method, Appendix 7, and recommended limit on the Direct Analysis Method in the commentary to Chapter C.

If the second-order effect is large, the system might be close to buckling. If it is close to buckling then a more sophisticated analysis might be warranted.

Dave, the commentary shown above, last paragraph, seems to agree with you.

I could see this applying to P-little delta in a few odd cases. For example, we once had a tall concrete column at the back of a theater stage. P-little delta played a big role. I could see limiting the amplification (B1 factor in AISC Appendix 8) for that also. I am not sure that's the intention of the section in question, though.

I believe this applies to both Big P-Delta in consideration of your global lateral system and Little P-Delta in consideration of local column effects.

Both P-δ and P-Δ.
If you assume your frame is nonsway, then there will be no P-Δ effect (6.6.4.5 accounts for P-δ effect. Member deflection as it approaches buckling), yet you're still required to perform the upper limit check.
Therefore P-δ must be included in addition to P-Δ for frames that are not nonsway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back