Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paint booth classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlhmaint

Electrical
Aug 14, 2002
US
at our shop we have a paint booth, we want to put a lift table in it from what iam getting out of the nec book 500-7,
516-2, 516-3 the table would have to be a class I, Div I rated lift table and the conduit would have to be rigid am i correct.

the booth is made of concrete block, has and open front, slot in top for overhead crane chain, and exhuast at the back.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The NEC allows either the Class/Div system or the Group/Zone system for classifed locations.
Interms of a lift table, some tables are hydralic and use either air controls or intrinsic saftey controls.
This would require the pump motor and lift ramps being connected thru hydralic hoses. (motors can be located in an unclassied area reducing costs)
Some paints will not tolerate any contamintes (even vapours of personal anti deodorants can reck the finish) and so a hydralic lift table would not be the answer.
If the lift table has have the electrical motors within the booth area. electrical connections can be made with either ridgit conduit or explosion proof cables and glands appoved for the area. And all the components within the lift table would have to be approved for the area classification.

i think they have ordered a class I Div I hydraulic lift table, I told them class I Div I based on my interpertation of NEC, the spray booth application is not critical we put a coat of primer (blue) on the units and they are re-painted when they get to our packager so it should be fine the table is for saftey while the unit is in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back