Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Paperless workflow, tablets with stylus? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

human909

Structural
Mar 19, 2018
AU
Hi all. I though I'd reach out for ideas and tips on improving my workflow particularly with respect to using a iPad or similar tablet to mark up drawings. My main needs is to be able to quickly edit and annotate PDF file drawing which will then be saved and sent to be more formally drafted by others. I'd likely be using two devices at the same time, a computer and a tablet. (Otherwise a computer and pen/paper.)

Who here has used a tablet (Apple, Android or Windows) for such tasks and what recommendations and feedback do you have?

My first thoughts are a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8, they seem suitable and I'm more comfortable with Android rather than iOS) Though a Microsoft Surface might be better to integrate very smoothly with my windows laptop workflow.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

(In my salary job I have been mainly managing to get by without paper, printer or scanner. Everything is pretty much done electronically including marking up drawings and other things. Quick informal hand calcs might be by hand on paper or using excel or Mathcad. I've found this all quite suitable.

I've taken up doing some residential consulting work on the side with another partner which requires fast and clear marking up of cleaned up Architectural drawings. I've found that doing on my laptop computer is just too slow and impractical. I was about to buy a larger printer/scanner which would align with the workflow approach of my engineer partner but then I figured there is probably a better way. Hence me looking at tablets with styluses.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree 100% that Windows is the way to go. Even with the millions of apps out there, Android and iOS are significantly less flexible. Windows will be easier to 1. integrate into your own filesystems, 2. allow for easier changes/upgrades to your own filesystems, and 3. make it easier to access client filesystems (ProjectWise, File360, etc) if need be. You will also have more robust choices for PDF markup applications.

Additionally, you will want to balance your need for portability with ease of use regarding the screen size. Writing with a cheap stylus is like writing with a crayon. A good stylus like what you get with a Surface or iPad Pro is more like a Sharpie. Expect your handwriting to be larger than if you were writing on paper with a pen. The Surface Pro 3 worked really well when I was in school, although I found I would have to zoom in 200%-300% on the PDF to get a reasonable amount of notes on an 8x11 sheet of paper or fill in a worksheet. If I were to do it again now, I would definitely go with something larger than 12" even if that meant it would be bulkier and heavier.

A good point NotDeadYet -- I'll add that some devices will have limited compatibility with quality stylus options (and you might have to increase your device budget accordingly if you want to stay in that ecosystem). Some devices are more flexible, and can be used with a low-cost but high-quality stylus option (like the Wacom One) at much lower total cost.

@NotDeadYet 100% agree with all your points. It technically works on iPad or Android, but a native Windows device would be smoother for the reasons you listed. I even found myself using FEM at a coffee shop during a break, which I couldn't do with an iPad. I also agree about the screen size; that's why my 24" display tablet (would recommend bigger if the budget allows) is the main workhorse, and the portable one is just for site visits. Zooming in all the time destroys efficiency.

There's also something I haven't figured out yet, which is pdf markup resolution. The tablets and stylus I use are very accurate but the programs are somewhat pixelated. It makes it hard to scribble notes. Bluebeam and other options don't have the same stylus accuracy as a dedicated art program like Krita (which isn't for pdfs) or a note taking application like OneNote. It might be a limitation of the pdf format itself. But there are ways around this, like zooming in, which slows it down.

MSL, it's not a problem native to PDF (which can handle vector graphics). It's likely due to limitations of a specific PDF editor (or the resolution and stylus settings of that editor).

@milkshakelake

Wow, 24" sounds fantastic! Did it come with a robot maid named Rosie?

My Surface Pro3 with Drawboard PDF would sometimes pixelate when I zoomed in, but re-render in a second or two. It would do the same if I was zoomed in and panned to a different section of the document. The bigger the file, the more likely this was to happen. I think this was just an issue of low ram and underpowered integrated graphics under too much of a workload.

I would imagine there has to be some sort of scaled-down basic PDF annotation software out there that would be more efficient than Bluebeam with all it's bells and whistles - but the company I work for and clients I work with almost exclusively use Bluebeam Studio sessions, and I haven't looked to see what is out there in years...

MSL said:
Optimizing workflow is a tough one for me. Been working on it for years. I've optimized steel, foundations, and SOE about as much as humanly possible without AI
@milkshake - I'd be interested to hear how and what you're doing for this, either in this thread or another. I've recently realized that my lack of work on this front leads to a lot of lost time. Are you talking about optimization in terms of buying the right tools (software, hardware etc) or automating design routines through writing scripts, etabs api, etc?

@Lomarandil True, I might have to fiddle with some settings. It's great in some apps and mediocre to bad in others. The stylus itself is pixel perfect.

@NotDeadYet The 24" one came with a sentient AI and a portal to another dimension, so it was a good deal. I just need to watch it to make sure it doesn't disrupt reality. And yeah, I used to look for the perfect pdf software, but I resigned myself to the stuff I have. The perfect one might not exist.

@bookowski I mean optimization in every regard, like correct tools and software, scripts, spreadsheets, VBA, standards, design tables, and things like that. I'm honestly not the best qualified to speak on the subject. I've been working on it for years and I think I got my office productivity to about 2 times any other place I worked for, but there are still so, so many inefficiencies. I think I'd need a full time senior level programmer+engineer (like the famous Celt83) to really make vast improvements, which I am not. I can make a different thread about it if you're interested, despite my lack of expertise.

Great discussion guys. I'm glad I've kicked off something that may be helpful to others.

I am biting the bullet and going with a Surface Pro. I did a quick check online and found some very cheap ex-business ones 2nd hand so I figure I go that route for the moment to see how the workflow goes. (As well as saving money I like the idea of the reusing economy.)

If it works well then I could consider a display tablet or similar for my fixed home desk. The 24" size really does sound like a wonder to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back