Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paraffin Actuated Valve (radiator thermostat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedomtech

Aerospace
Apr 3, 2006
US
Does anyone know of a supplier of an inline valve that opens when exposed to hot water (approx 185 deg F) and closes when cold? It would function similarly to a car radiator thermostat, but ideally would be a smaller diameter (approx 1" or less) and be cheap ($20 or less).

Considering using a radiator thermostat but they tend to be 2 inches or so in diamater.

It seems like there would be some pretty clever valves out there that would take advantage of the paraffin actuator concept. Cannot find much on the web except some expensive custom valves. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Texas Instruments' division in Attelboro, MA, tried to sell wax actuators (core of a car thermostat) as a standalone commercial product, ca. 1972. High force in little space, etc. But, slow moving. I assume the expensive custom valve makers retained some of the tons of literature published by TI on the subject.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

We used a lot of small thermostatic bellows steam type traps where a hetaing fluid was used as the motive power.

I think all the trap people make one for steam, but not at $20

I would go with the radiator thermostat if I was you. You are right there at the 185F. Maybe look at the thermostats for small cars. The diameter is closer to the 1". You could always just swage up and then back down. Your budget limits almost anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back