Parametric Design of API 650 Storage Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDermott1711

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2010
SG
Hi everyone,
For start, let me say that I'm familiar with parametric modeling software, mostly Autodesk Inventor and its capabilities. On the other hand, I know something about various types of API 650 storage tanks. During last couple of years, i was thinking about using these kind of software in automation of generating detail drawings for storage tanks. So, before starting that, i'm wondering weather somebody out there, have experience in this regard.
Any advice/suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see too many variables unless you are a tank manufacturer. The relative costs of material, fabrication, erection, shipping all impact the tank design. Customer, state and local ordinances and specifications, wind, seismic and other loads, foundation design, soil capacity, product characteristics, timing all have impacts. Go for it though - it would be a fun project!

The problem I've seen with this kind of approach is you can figure up how to handle the "ordinary" tank, but then every single project seems to have some weird non-ordinary aspect to it.

For example, two 120 foot x 60 foot high tanks identical in all other respects will likely have different grades of steel in the shell, therefore different thicknesses if one is in Chicago and one is in New Orleans.

I've been away of this post for a while, but thanks all for the responses which say there isn't such previous work in general.
I know that complexities and variety that exist in storage tank design is ample, but isn't it possible to categorize them? Or, hopelessly parametrize the general ones and let the remaining ones to the manual designers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back