Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Parking Garage Water proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleigh

Structural
Oct 11, 2002
CA
I am inquiring about traffic membranes for intermediate structural parking garage slabs (Ontario, Canada Standards). Currently we use standard rebar (non-epoxy coated), with Tremco Vulkem 350/351 traffic membrane on top of the slab. Does anyone know of a cheaper system to use or cheaper product?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A peneterating sealer or an epoxy finish could be cheaper to install, however, I think you probably owe it to your client to show them several different systems and allow them to make an informed decision. A more expensive system could last considerably longer and have a lower life cycle cost.

frogit22,

Can you sugest a penitrating sealer? Do you have an average life span for this product. With Tremko Vulkem we usally have a 10 year warenty.

Not sure on a penetrating sealer product reference, but I don't think that type of system would last 10 years. It certainly offers a lower level of protection than a traffic bearing membrane.

Remember that a sealer is a type of damproofing product; you get a temporary reduction in the level of moisture and chloride penetration which decreases in performance over a short period of time. Membranes provide 100 percent waterproofing and usually via visual inspection you can tell where the wear is occurring and repair as necessary.

Regarding types of membranes, I am a big fan of 100 percent solids products; no solvent odours! Two products I like are Duochem's traffic bearing membrane and Sonneborn's Conipur II system.

JW

I would suggest you take a look at DensiCrete.
This is a one time permanent application that is used by waterparks, PA DOT, commercial roofing, etc. It is applied via a low pressure (Hudson garden type even) sprayer and will not only provide waterproofing, but will mitigate carbon monoxide damage as well. Now if the structure is already damaged, it won't magically fix the damage.

Very inexpensive and non-toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back