Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part count in Draft enviromnent, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBX

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2004
CA
Hi

Is there a way to show part count(linked to the assembly) in the draft drawing of a specific part?

For example lets say you have 10x of part B in the assembly, i would like 10 to show up(automatically) in the quantity cartridge in the draft file of part B.

(So i dont have to do it manually in the property mamnager of the assembly.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No.
The part drawing is not really the place to refer to quantities used on an assembly.
What if you use the part on more than one assembly?

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Hi beachcomber

I want to display the quantity in the part drawing as it helps the guys on shop floor to know how many of part "A" they must fabricate.
The shops overhere do not look at the assembly and each worker gets a specific part to fabricate)

It also removes one more step i have to do.(looking at the BOM and entering each quantity)

If the part comes back in more then one assembly then its up to the shop floor manager to add them.

I am trying to find a way to link the property "Qty" in the property manager to the automatic counter found in the "occurence property" of the assembly.

But i dont think i will be able to do it without fancy programming!

There is a cheat for this but it can get VERY messy.
What you would need to do is detail all the parts on sheets in the assembly drawing.
In your assembly model you would need to create a view configuration for each part (with all other parts hidden).
Then for each detail view use the appropriate config from the assembly instead of using the part file.
You can then extract the property for the quantity of that part in the draft file and use it in a callout.
As I said it's very messy and the wrong way to do it.

Just thinking about this - you could try placing an assembly parts list on the detail sheet and just hide everything else in it apart from the one you want.
You can copy and paste a parts list from your assembly drawing.

Other than that you could just do a BOM report that lists all parts and their quantities in the top-level assembly and give that to the shop - then it wouldn't matter if the part was used in more than one sub-assembly.
That would be my preferred way - and give it a drawing number.
Look at parts list properties to see how you can break it down.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back