Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

part names in an assembly not as their saved names....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadjunkie

Automotive
Feb 3, 2003
GB
...I create a new part (eg Part51), save it under a new name, relevant to it's part number.
...when I insert it into an assembly, the part name comes up as Part51, not the new name? why is this?
...so I have to rename it in the assy, even though it knows it is linked to that part under it's (new) saved name.

...surely it's possible to have the name of the part in the assy, the same as the saved name of the part, without having to rename it!!

Steve.
(V5R8)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...it's ok, don't all rush at once - have found the solution.... :~)

[by changing the name at the top of the spec tree of the NEW part to the name I want, (RMB, and select properties) and then saving the new part "normally" - so then, do not have to use 'save as' to give the new file name]

Hi,

Notice that in an assembly, a part has three "names", namely, the part name, the instance name and the file name.

The part name is tha name the part has on its own.
The instance name is the name the part has in this assembly.
The file name is the name the part has on disc.

Creating a new part outside an assembly and naming it by RMB on the part top, you'll set all these names to the same when saving and/or inserting into an assembly.

regards
O Gabrielson

Please I dont understand the procedure that you explained, but I am interested in having the same name in the assembly than in the independient part. What does it means RMB?

Hi Rozab

RMB is Right Mouse Button.

To overcome this issue i have been giving the name of the part when creating the new file itself.
Tools>Options>Infrastructure>Product structure>Product structure>part Number and under it switch on the manual input tab.
So every time a new part is created we need to type the name of the part in the begining itself.

The part Name is default name that is taken for the assembly and also for the file name stored in hard disc.

Cheers
Ganesh.N

ganesh.n@engg.tjc.co.in

hi...

for those who doesn t know how to search with keyword in the forum..

For the name :

CATProduct
|
|---PartNumber of CATPart (Instance name of CATPart)
| |
| |- PartNumber of CATPArt

By default, when you save a new file, the name proposed by CATIA is the PartNumber... But when you give a new name for the file it doesnt change the PartNumber !

It is not good to keep PartNumber as given by CATIA, I mean... DO change the PartNumber to be diferent from Part1. This will avoid problem loading 2 files (different name) with same PartNumber in a CATProduct.

To do that, right clic on PART1 (The PartNumber) in the tree , go to properties, go to Product and change PartNumber...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back