Not open for further replies.

elinBG

Electrical
Oct 1, 2013
BG
Hello,

How is called this connection
tFQ8go8.jpg

I found it on an semi-hermetic compressor it is used for "part-winding start".

How does it work?
Any information on it will be great

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This appears to be a unique, in my experience, example of a two speed, one winding connection. The 'unique' portion is the presence of the additional winding sections that extend from the center of the traditional delta to comprise the 2U, 2V, and 2W connections.

My guess is that when power is applied to the 1U-V-W connection that the result is a two pole connection and that when power is applied to the 2U-V-W connection that the result is a 6 pole connection. Presumably the 6 pole connection would be energized first for starting and the the 2 pole connection would be energized second for running.

If you can provide a picture of the portion of the schematic that shows the starter as well as the specific rating(s) of the motor for starting and running then the answer to your question may be more apparent.

I hope you find this answer helpful. Please respond with more information.

I agree with rhatcher's guess. Interesting design - I haven't seen that winding configuration before.

If we get a confirmation of those answers it might be the basis of an interesting interview question for the future, just to test a candidate's ability to apply logic and reasoning to something unfamiliar. :)

If it is 2p & 6p then why does the nameplate list 4p and only 4p? and dual delta windings?

'part winding start' is just normal u/v/w in delta
'direct start' adds another delta across same u/v/w but 60 degrees out of phase....

each regular delta coil has 60 degrees across it for 120 degrees from u to v to w. aAding the 7,8,9 wires puts 180 degrees across each of those coils... wierd.

Being a compressor, I am guessing it runs in the 'partial' mode but somehow the added coils reduce inrush for starting with those phase shifts?[ul]
[li][/li]
[/ul]

Sorry!!! checked again, this schema is given exactly in the "Pole-changeable windings" section of Neven Srb's book!

So it is very possible that @rhatcher is right!

Tomorrow the motor will be cutted-off and winding striped out, I will try to draw the winding diagram.
And I will appreciate if someone who can better read the copeland diagram to try to explain how exactly this thing works.

For now it is a "part-winding, pole-changable" motor, correct?

Hi,
I haven't had time to verify it but I'm pretty sure I've seen that connection on a dual voltage 230/460 volt delta connected motor. The connection that you show was used to run the motor on a 575 volt circuit. 1, 2, 3, were lines, 10, 8, 5 were together as were 11, 9, 6, and finally 4, 7, 12. If you draw it out I think you'll see it looks like what you have above.

Thanks

Thank you very much @Motorwinder!

One more hint please:
How to read "Coil end No"?
1 is the beginning of the first coil and 2 is the end of the first coil
3 is the beginning of the second coil and 4 is the end of the second coil
5 is the beginning of the third coil and 6 is the end of the third coil
...and so on...

Is this correct?

2deltapws.JPG

Today we started to open the connection of the motor. The strange thing which is different from the first picture which @MotorWinder showed (4 pole, Delta connected, Part winding, Adjacent Pole, 2 Circuit), is that there are connections with 3 leads.
The other strange thing in this point (where 3 leaads are connected together) is that one of the leads are with 6 wires, the other two leads are with 3 wires
Please check the photo bellow

IFQWteB.jpg

That would possibly make sense: the winding connected to terminals 7,8,9 sees full line current, so that would be six strands. The other two windings carry lower current and are wound with three strands, e.g. the current entering at terminal 7 splits between the windings connected to terminals 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back