Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pathological Gait in Transplant Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

microsearch

Bioengineer
Aug 19, 2002
AU
Hi all, I'm trying to develop an assesment package for quantifying pathological gait in limb transplanted rats. My greatest problem is doing this on a shoe-string budget (no money). Any ideas on low cost options?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ouch, the low cost budget question. Well, first why do you measure the gait?

I would forget about computer technology or high speed cameras. You can try digital photos or still photos on a measured out grid.

You can try having the RATS run through a marker (paint) and then across paper. Their gaits will be measured on the paper. This could get messy. Or....

You can have them run through wet sand in a trough. Then you can measure and photo the impressions and build up a file of data. It seems cleaner than paint and is reusable.

I hope this helps......
Good Luck

How low a budget are we talking?

There is a system used for head tracking that uses reflective dots that seems like it could be adapted for motion capture.

TTFN

You could try electrogoniometry, although I'm not sure whether you could get any kit in a small enough size for rats.

The Bioengineering Unit at the University of Strathclyde (UK) was working in this area in the early 90's when I did some work assessing the gait of dogs and how this was affected by the action of an analgesic drug. You could try a literature search to see if they are still working in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back