PCC-2: Insert Plate With A Nozzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra17

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2020
CA
Can someone confirm/correct me if I have the following wrong:

I'm using PCC-2, 2022 Edition for reference.

I have a circular insert plate that will have a NPS 10 nozzle in it, the vessel is designed to VIII-1. The insert plate is located on the shell (0.375" thick) and will not be close to any other nozzles and will not go into the vessels long or circ. seams. No RT or PWHT was done on the vessel. The insert plate will be the same material as the vessel shell and rolled to match.

201.3.8: (a) Limit radius of the nozzle is 10.5", so a plate with a diameter of 21"
(b) Nozzle is less than 12", so NPS 10 = 10.75" * 2 = 21.5"​
therefore the minimum is 21.5", so I will use 22" to account for the bevel and to be 'safe'​

201-4.3: (a) shell = 0.375", nozzle = 0.25", therefore the insert plate weld needs to be 6" or more away from existing welds butt welds (seams)

201-4.5.1: the vessel does not have PWHT, so the insert plate does not require it.

201-5.1: in the 'as welded' condition for the insert plate, the original design does not have RT or UT, the insert plate does not require them, however, MT or PT is recommended as a minimum, but not required (based on the wording of the code).

201-5.2: if the insert plate is finished (i.e. ground smooth) then MT or PT is required.

I think that covers it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back