Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF Sketch Entity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathonrose

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
US
So, background:
Using 2007 SP1.0, same in SP0.0
We make Part files which are sketches only, outlines of components on a PCB. Can't extrude/cut, since multi open/closed entities and text.

I've started getting the data from our PCB group with the references designators as actual text entities, which is nice, they look good, a bit smaller file sizes, etc.

However, here is my problem:

We do a Save-As PDF for the drawings. And when there is text in a sketch (not created into a cut/extrude feature) the location of the text is defined by an "invisible" sketch entity that you do not see in the drawing view (You can turn these on in the options and see as a point).

The problem is during the Save-As, this "invisible" sketch entity gets shown as a cross in the PDF. If you turn on the sketch entity in options, as I said, you can see them in the drawing and when you do a Save-As PDF, you can see a dot on top of the ever-present cross. I have not found a way to remove this sketch entity by changing any properties/PDF Save-As options, or anything. This is annoying as the text is small and the crosses become obtrusive.

Any ideas? (Besides printing to a PDF-writer. The crosses dissappear, but the image is degraded to an extent I am unhappy with.)

Thanks in advance,

Erick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

can you try to print to pdf instead?

how about changing the font type... maybe they are using an unsupported font.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Yeah, can print to PDF, and it looks passable, but the mfg folks like to zoom in to read the fine print and it gets a bit ugly looking. Will likely have to go that route, but it's not preferred.

I tried a few fonts, a few settings in the Save-As-PDF options, send fonts, high quality, etc...nothing changed, that invisible sketch entity seems to be stuck, as that is how SW locates the text.

Putting on a line didn't get rid of it, either.

When printing to PDF do you have the options set to "High Quality"? If not, you will get very bad resolution that you are unhappy with. We always use the "High Quality" option and the PDF's are great especially when zooming in.

Before printing to PDF make sure under Page Setup the High Quality is checked.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
Solidworks 2006 SP4.0

It looks like it may be something you have to live with because I can't find where to turn it off. I am using Adobe Professional 6, and that text point shows up no matter what text you use. It is invisible on a SW drawing, but it shows up in PDF's somehow. The only way I could get rid of it was to open it up in Photoshop and get rid of it there.

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

If you print to AdobePDF or pdf995 or similar, you may get more control on the quality settings ... plus the text "insertion point" does not show up. I did a quick test printing to AdobePDF and then enlarged the view to 1200% and the quality was perfect.

I think this is a bug/limitation with the SW pdf writer.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back