Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMW2005 Add-In refuses to load 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDMAdmin

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2004
US
I am working with a test install of SW2005 and PDMW2005, and I have come across an interesting situation. After upgrading the license server to 2005, I tried running both products. SW2005 loads fine, and so does PDMW2005 stand-alone. However, when I try to activate the SW Add-In for PDMW2005, it refuses to load, saying the license server does not support such a feature. That cannot be true, since PDMW2005 stand-alone loads fine. I have checked the license server and verified that it wasn't an issue of license availability. I tried the same thing using SW2004 and PDMW2004, and the SW Add-In loads without any problem.

Has anyone else come across this? What are some possible reasons for this kind of problem to occur?

Thanks for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PDMAdmin,
What we had to do in a case like this, was to create a vault on a standalone PC. We unplugged the network from the standalone PC and name the computer the same name as our server.

Bradley

I have 2 vaults one is for SW04 and the other is for SW05

My SW04 vault is on my local PC where SW04 and SW05 is installed at. The SW05 Vault is located over my network on another machine with a completely different name. That will work, but the computers must not have the same name.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

For all Newbie's - Welcome to the nerd herd![laughtears]

faq731-376

I have verified that "PDMWorks Server 2005" is the only PDMW service running on my machine. PDMW2004 is also installed, but that's only the client.

Scott,
When I tried to install PDM Works 2004 onto my local machine, PDM Works would not load until I renamed my local computer to the server name. The same was true when I installed PDM Works at home. I was thinking that SolidWorks puts everyone’s server name on the CD’s.

Maybe someone who just purchased PDM Works 2005 could tell me. Did you have to give SolidWorks the name of your server to get PDM Works to run?

Bradley

SolidWorks and PDMWorks use the same license server (at least in my setup they do). The logon server for PDMWorks is specified in PDMW at the logon screen; I never specified it in SW2004 or SW2005. The problem is, I can't even get that far in the PDMW2005 Add-In, since it refuses to load.

That's probably because your trying to run 2 services on one station. You can't do this I talked with SW about this when I loaded SW05 and PDMworks Vault 05. I didn't want to wipe out my 04 vault for when 04 custoemr call in. So I had to setup my 05 vault. The 05 vault could not reside on the same computer. It had to be installed on another machine. i then logged in using the systems ID vs using localhost. This fixed my problem.

But if you have sw04 and 05 on your machine then you are going to see problems with *.dll files already being loaded. This is aknown conflict in SW. If you start Photoworks in SW05. Then start SW04 you get a message informing you that the *.dll file is already loaded. Maybe this is some what related to the PDMworks issue.

Have you stop and restarted the service?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

For all Newbie's - Welcome to the nerd herd![laughtears]

faq731-376

Scott,

PDMW2005 Server is the only PDMW service I am running on my machine. The PDMW2004 Server and file vault are on different machines, neither of which is the machine I am using. I am using my current machine for the PDMW2005 login server and file vault.

The .DLL file conflict would make sense. As a check, I uninstalled SW2004 and PDMW2004, leaving only SW2005 and PDMW2005 on my machine. The result was exactly the same -- PDMW2005 stand-alone runs fine, PDMW2005 Add-In refuses to start. The exact error message I am getting is:

Could not obtain a license for PDMWorks.

License server does not support this feature.
(-18,147,0)

Oops, forgot one thing. I stopped and restarted the PDMWorks service, then tried logging into PDMW2005 using both methods. Stand-alone was successful, Add-In was not.

I renamed my PC at home (different than Work Server) and installed PDM Works. The add-in did not show up at all. I renamed the PC to our Server name and at least the add-in did show. My PDM Works admin did work well and the stand alone worked well. I did notice that within SolidWorks there was a column on the right hand side of the monitor that would let me into the PDM vault. So maybe the PDM add-in is just not the same as before, under file, open PDM vault.

Bradley

I had this problem as well when upgrading to SW2005. It is one of the many bugs you will discover over the next few weeks.

The FlexLM server that you are running needs to be upgraded to the 2005 version. You will be able to run PDMW2005 stand alone and SW2005 stand alone, but not integrated. You will get the message that the licence server does not support that option.

Update your FlexLM licence manager and you should be OK to run.

tait

wtait,

After testing SW2005 yesterday and today, I started suspecting that FlexLM was the culprit. The funny thing is, I installed the SW2005 license server from the web download, but it doesn't appear to work the way it should. I'll try installing the license server from the SW2005 CD. If that works better, I'll make a note of it here.

Thanks for all the help!

wtait,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the SW2005 license manager from the SW2005 CD, but that did not help. I am still unable to load the integrated PDMW2005. If you could give me some specific details about what you did, that would help me tremendously.

Thanks!

After doing some more digging (and some feedback from our VAR), it sounds like Windows Server 2003 may have a compatibility issue with the PDMWorks 2005 Add-In.

This problem has finally been solved. Turns out, it had nothing to do with Windows Server 2003. What happened was that I needed a new license file with the feature "pdmworks" specified in it because of a bug in the 2005 license manager software. This is a temporary work-around, and the bug should be fixed in 2005 SP1.0.

Hi, I've come across a very simliar issue, and we found that the date for an office license in the SNL file had expired. It was pretty much the same situation, SW was OK, the license string for SW had a valid date, but for office ( and only office....weird) was the only one that had expired. Your issue might be something more complicated?? But a quick look at the SNL file in notepad wasnt difficult. We also got an SPR number back on this problem, because the licesne manager did not warn us about the expiry date. cheers, chriskh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back