Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDMWorks Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatwire

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to change the properties of many parts at once in PDMWorks. There has been a request at my company to change the descriptions of 300 parts that are already in PDMWorks. I have an excel spreadsheet that details the changes, and I was wondering if there's any way that I can change all of them by importing the spreadsheet into the vault. I was thinking that perhaps property mappings would be of use to me, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, yes it's theoretically possible using the API. The problem is that you need a good understanding of how the vault is structured as there is no underlying database. All the information is stored in txt files. This is something that we are currently working on as we need to back track on some of our legacy data that is already in PDM. If we get it figured I'll post some more, unless the question has already been answered. One thing for definite though...work on a copy of your vault and then when you're sure it works then copy it to your live location.

Hope this is of some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back