Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE Career Change 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdslon

Civil/Environmental
Aug 23, 2009
US
Hello,

I am 38 and have a BSCE and 14 years of experience in construction and geotechnical engineering. I received my PE license in 2008.

I am considering moving into a different area of civil engineering such as environmental/water resources. I realize I would probably have to take an entry-level position, and I am willing to do so. However, I am not sure how my qualifications would be viewed by potential employers. In general, would employers prefer to fill entry-level positions with PEs who have some work experience, or would they rather hire fresh EITs straight out of college? In other words, is having a PE license an advantage or disadvantage when switching to a new/different area of specialization?

I am interested in reading the experiences of other PEs who have successfully switched from one career path to another. I would also like to hear the opinions of any hiring managers.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back