PE exam - October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagdishRawat

Materials
Jun 11, 2011
CA
Hello all:

I recently came to know about this forum while searching for the tips on PE exam in metallurgical engineering. I have following questions for this exam -

1) Is anyone taking the exam in October 2011?
2) Is it really tough exam?
3) Historically, passing rate is between 50% to 65%. Is it because that it is a tough exam or because examinees take it lightly?
4) Is Transport Phenomenon still part of the exam? If yes, which book will you recommend? Does it come with solution manual?
5) I am going through the chapter on casting, forging, machining etc. Do i have to know the positives and negatives of different methods e.g. drawbacks of open die forging and/or types of hammer used in forging etc?

Thanks for your time.

Met1CO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to check on your level of candidacy, whether you need to take the FE or go straight to PE with an FE waiver. That's what I did. If you have a number of years of experience and have a PhD or even a Master's degree, they may waive the FE for you, but you need to check with the NCEES waiver policies, and your State Board.

I heard that NCEES has had talks about making this test a Standardized one, that exact same test for all candidates, but I doubt that they would do anything soon.

The NCEES have had a review material for this test, but it's not has thorough as the one they are working now.

Also i wanted to say that you don't necessary need to be working under a PE to take the exam. Years of experience and education would qualify you. You do need 3 PE references that review your experience record and 5 PE references for waiver. Check out the NCEES policies.

DQX1;
NCEES does not set registration policy for State Boards. State Boards set their own rules and determine a candidates eligibility for PE licensing. In some states PE references are not required. NCEES only administers exams and provides scores to the Boards. Boards issue licenses, not NCEES.

I will repeat this again, you must contact your state board and follow their requirements. There is misinformation when it comes to PE registration.

Hey metengr (Materials)
6 Feb 12 17:58
According to your post there are some states which does not need PE references. Can you please tell me which states are those? Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

NCEES does not set registration policy for State Boards. State Boards set their own rules and determine a candidates eligibility for PE licensing. In some states PE references are not required. NCEES only administers exams and provides scores to the Boards. Boards issue licenses, not NCEES.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya, don4;
The one State where the Board did not require specific PE references, other than a detailed job history and description of work, was Illinois because this is where I sat for the PE exam. Beyond this I do not know which other States have similar requirements to Illinois.

You can do a better job than I ever could researching this information (by either visting each web site and downloading rules or contacting each board via email) because you have more at stake than I do.

Don4,
The best way to find out about the PE rules and regulation is to contact NCEES directly, and to find out more about your State Board is also contacting them directly or going on their website. If you call them they should take a few minutes to answer all your questions. In Texas you need three PE references to be accepted for the test, and five PE references to waive the FS or EIT exam and go straight to the PE, but they also require a number of years of experience in combination with education. Again that is in Texas, it varies from State to State, one other aspect of PE is that not every state transfer license when moving depending on the discipline, I believe California and New York may be two of them, for Civil Engineers you may have to retake the exam in their respective States. I'm not sure for Materials and Metallurgy.

Does anyone know what is Principles and Practice of engineering exam?
I am FE with multiple years of experience. Do I need to pass this exam before I appear for PE examination?

Thanks.

Done4,
I think you are ready to go straight to your PE. Again, you need to get with your State Board and NCEES. Highly recommended, there is no easy way out of this.

Good Luck Pal.

Hello Met1CO and other PE's

I will be taking my PE exam in Metallurgy & Mat. Eng. in October 2012.

Is anyone else taking the exam this year ?

This thread gives lot of useful information, however i can use some guidance and tips from recent exam takers. Met1CO, are you willing to talk with me ? I can email you my phone number or i can call you, if you provide your phone number and conveniant time via email.

Thank you.

DQXI,

Did you mean TMS? I spoke with Mary Samsa from TMS and she said the new study guide will be available in the next 2 weeks supposedly. We will see if that happens.

Mtlgst1 I am planning on taking the exam for the second time in October. I hope I pass this time, what a pain this exam is.

Agree with you, Nayak at TMS is the contact I've been talking to and he keeps telling me that the new review material will be ready in a few more days. The clock is ticking and is about time to start studying.

Wow this thread is scaring me!! I have an undergrad in Materials from Purdue and I worked for ~7 yrs in metallurgy (magnetic alloy development) but since the last 3-4 yrs I've worked in building technology - investigating failures, doing building assessments, designing repairs, etc. Since Materials is my background and since I have never taken courses in civil/structural, I am inclined to take the Materials PE but it sounds worse than taking the Civil PE even though I'd have to study from *scratch*!

My firm doesn't care which PE I have as long as I'm licensed so it's really up to me.

Thoughts? Help!

Met1Co,

Please provide some insight on what study problems you did to help you prepare for last years PE exam. I took the exam as well and unfortunately did not pass. I am a person who needs to do a lot of practice problems to help me prepare. The study guide TMS provides is alright but they do a terrible job in explaining their answers in a lot of their questions. Some questions have just an answer and no explanation of how they justified their answer. I have their new study guide but again I thought it was poorly written. I see that you have provided a list of reference books to read in a previous post, I will look into purchasing these. Any information you can provide will be most helpful.

Thanks!

Also, is anyone else struggling with studying for this exam?

@ NCSU

I mostly covered the problems given at the end of the chapters in the books. I did not use TMS study guide till the last week before exam. TMS study guide was for me to test myself. It was not to prepare for the exam.

I passed the FE exam in 2010. It also helped me out in basic problems.

I also have six sigma green belt and auditor certification from ASQ. Studying for these exams helped me out in my statistics and control charts etc.

One really needs to solve the problems at the end of the chapters.

It is really not a tough exam but you need to ask if you really want it?

Just 2 or 3 hours a day and 5 hours on weekends !!!

Met1CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back