Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pedestal Reinforcement per ACI Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentStru

Structural
Oct 14, 2014
US
So I've been told 2 different things regarding this topic from my 2 different bosses (both are structural PEs). This is in reference to the requirement of ties per ACI 318-05, section 7.10.5.

Boss 1 says that for pedestal reinforcement, as long your longitudinal (vertical) bars are 6" or closer, you don't need additional bars crossing the pedestal from one side to the other. Boss 2 says that the additional crossing bars are always required, and the longitudinal bars must always be 6" or closer.

How do others interpret this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BrentKnesal,

Looking at ACI318-08 pages 97 which is section 7.10.5

Longitudinal bars not at the corners do not require additional ties if they are 6" clear or less away from the corner bar. Once the bars get farther away from the corner than 6" clear than an additional tie is required. See Figure R7.10.5.

Hope that helps

As much as I dislike the ACI code, they did a better job illustrating the rectangular tie requirements in ACI 318-14.
If you have a copy, look at Figure R25.7.2.3a.

The crossing bars are always required (see 7.10.5.1 where it states that "all"...bars shall be enclosed...)
But if your long. bars are 6" or closer you can SKIP one longitudinal bar (i.e. crossing ties only required for every other bar.
This is dictated in 7-10.5.3 where the word "alternate" is used.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back