Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pedestrian Bridge b/w two 10 stories tower 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeshanahmed

Civil/Environmental
Dec 16, 2007
PK
two towers of 10 stories are 30ft apart, and there is a need of pedestrian bridge on every story level between the two towers. Building is in Zone-III. The principle design engineer thinks that it cannot be bridged with a steel structure pedestrian bridge as the buildings are expected to sway upto 4 inches with different mode shapes, Also the second mode shape when both buildings sway towards each other the bridge will come apart.
My question is that is he right ? and is there anyway that we can fit in a steel girder bridge between two towers or not ? how will the joints be detailed to cater building's movement in different mode shapes. ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i think the idea is that the tower is free stnading, supporting the bridges and their loads. the bridges would not be tied into the buildings.

i think it's an elegant solution, but i also think the idea hasn't been picked up by the OP, so i guess he's not interested in it.

you can make the the 9 free standing and still make it look like they are 9 seperate bridges if you putt some air gap between level.

I am by no mean qualified to do something this massive because all I do is residential. I am just throwing some idea outside the box.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

rb, you might be right. There might be some reason that he can't have any columns, however. Perhaps there's a street and/or sidewalk below.

the idea of the seperate frame was on the table before this post !
This building is actually a hospital, and just below this bridge is the main entrance. The architect is not happy with the idea of any type of hinderance in entrance or its path,
however i am going to discuss it again with the principle engineer and architect.
u know! the idea of a web tappered cantilever from both ends appealed to the architect and he thinks he can do some fancy stuff with it also. Now its just a matter of some analysis.

oh geez, we're not going to let an architect design something ??

not sure where the idea about dividing the bridge in two and anchoring each 1/2 on either building came from ... sounds tricky or awkward to join together in the middle ?

are the floor levels on both buildings the same ?? that would be very fortunate (and unlikely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back