Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pelton Turbine Efficiency curve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippet

Electrical
Mar 12, 2010
BT
Hi again, I have a Question.

I want to plot an efficiency curve of Pelton turbine against percentage of design discharge. Basically I want to obtain an efficiency curve for the turbine. So is it OK for me to go this way:

I will caluclate the efficiency against say 5%, 10%, 15%.20%....100% of design dicharge from the following equation:

P= (Eff of Turbine * Eff of Gen* Eff of transf*Rho* g* net head).

Does it look alright??? I have the P, H and Q value and I will assume Transf and gen efficiency of 0.9 for all the calculation.

Do you all have better suggestion? Please do let me know. I would appreciate.

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried the above. It don't seem to work. The turbine efficiency decreases with increased % of discharge. Where am i going wrong?

Hello everybody:

Hi Snippet, I would suggest to you to visit (Clean Energy Project Analysis Software), where, among a lot of information you can find the RETScreen Software Model Flow Chart (for free) and you can model your whole project as per your needs.

Please let me know if you have success in doing so.

Hi 21121956, thank you so much. I do have general efficiency curve as you have provided. I wanted to see the curve for my Pelton turbine. I guess it will be more or less same?? I also wanted to know as how to make the curve. Since the method I tried don't seem to work.Maybe I will try rummaging through my one such class room lab excerices which I did a year back in university.

As for the site, it looks very useful to me. I will try to explore and see. I will definitely give you my progress report. :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back