Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perculiar Excel error

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertCasey

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2002
NL
Hello. I have constructed a Hazard and Risk Assessment using Excel, and so I have a large table with a lot of small font multiline text in most of the the cells (with wordwrap switched on). However, when the table is printed, the text in many of the cells "strays" slightly over the gridlines into adjacent cells before moving to a newline. With so many cells, this looks quite messy. On screen, everything looks fine so I suspect its something to do with the printer driver (or maybe the fonts) but I can't seem to tweak anything that will solve it. Has anyone else experienced this strange behaviour and if so, do you know how it can be corrected? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your View|Zoom set to less than 100%? This will make the screen spacing different than the print spacing even with true-type fonts.

You might solve your problem by using an indent greater than the default zero in the cell format alignment.

Indent: "Indents cell contents from any edge of the cell, depending on your choice under Horizontal and Vertical. Each increment in the Indent box is equivalent to the width of one character."

I suspect BillPSU is correct. I have struck this problem with wide, wordwrap-enabled, text-containing cells: I could find no satisfactory way around it. The best I could come up with was to turn wordwrap OFF and insert my own line-breaks (using alt-return). This introduces its own set of problems, including additional tedium when you want to revise the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back