Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Reviews 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
This is the first year I disagreed greatly with a performance review I received.

Specifically to tell what happened is that in November we received our performance review. Before we are reviewed we are supposed to rate ourselves in several areas. Then our direct supervisor rates us. However on top of it this year they made a change and had some of the lead executives also rate us. I was told during the interview that because of this everyones reviews are much lower than the previous year.

In any event, there was more of a disconnect than I expected. I do think I rated myself highly, but after this review, my result was already 20% lower than the previous year.

Then the top executive who hadn't weighed in yet, decided to further adjust the employees reviews. Presumably while under pressure to greatly limit raises.

So now my ranking by points is 30% lower than previous year.

Why this bugs me so much is that I've had to work longer and harder this year than ever as one coworker was suspended and off work for over 2 months for a reason that i believe most other companies would have fired him for.

I believe to no small degree having to cover for his work and my own at the same time is part of the reason for a lower effectiveness rating.

At first I wrote no major comments of disagreement, but after the top executive who has little direct contact with my work lowered the score yet again, I wrote a very polite letter stating what some of my disagreements were. I don't think it will have any effect other than making me feel better for stating how I feel about it and how the review process lacks accurate metrics.

Have you ever disagreed with your review? This is the only time I can think of that I've had major issues with one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of my best pay rises was just before I relocated to America. My new, improved "notional salary" was used to calculate how much UK tax (NI actually for those who speak the lingo) I'd be paying. I got a promotion too, from grade N to grade N+1, a big hit with the girls.

- Steve

EngineerDave, I am curious and if you are willing to share I would like to know: Have you been able to positively link your layoff to the disagreement with the review? I realize that may be impossible to determine, but I was just wondering.

debodine,

I am sure my response didn't help my case. My ex-boss is the type that tends to be very quiet, so he is hard to read. But he certainly does have a bad temper at times.

I asked him directly if it did have something to do with it and he said no.

To be honest though in retrospect I think he was rarely honest with me about several issues.

I do take my personal responsibility in all of this. I could have done things better, but in the end the layoff was a combination of a few factors I couldn't control.

1) One women in the department hated her job so she being close to my boss threatened to quit unless she received her old job back. Her old job is in the same group I'm in, but one step down. However to justify her return to my group, my boss had me perform a work study of the extra work I was doing in one area. That was last August and that in effect created her position while taking away a part of mine. At the time I was naively happy about it, because I wanted to work on some other things. I was extremely busy at the time. How stupid was I.

2) The company i work was part of a larger alliance. That joint venture broke up over the last few years, amid legal action etc. Our branch is doing worse financially for the wear. They cut 50 jobs of which one was mine. The economy was an issue as well

3) My boss always seemed closer to the drunk guy and the woman. I never could see why. Especially because the drunk guy routinely came in late and didn't do much.

Finally I just have to let it go.

EngineerDave

The announcement of upcoming performance reviews was accompanied by an announcement that all wages will be frozen for the year.

I have a prediction: All employees will receive the best performance review ever in their time at this company.

Andy512, don't be so quick. We got a pay freeze before reviews were given. My rating actually got beaten down because our director thinks there's been grade inflation and hardly anyone should get better than 'meets expectations'.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat
Thats the thing that happened to us too. The business manager who was so far removed from the work adjusted the reviews two years in a row. This year it was critical because his after the fact adjustment moved me from effective to less than effective.

When my boss first did the review, I was in the effective category. I didn't write a letter. Than almost two months later when the business manager got around to adjusting things, I wrote my response in which I disagreed. My boss read it but the business manager didn't.

My disagreement became vocal after the adjustment which occurred so much further down the road.

'meets expectations'.
Hands up all those of you who think this phrase and its variants are ever used appropriately.

Does not meet expectations.... you're fired - unless you work harder (must always set expectations ahead of ability.

Meets expectations..... (should try harder)... you might be fired (memo: must set higher expectations)

Exceeds expectations..... you want my job, huh? I'll fix your wagon somehow.

JMW

A friend of mine said a performance review should never come as a surprise.

This year it did. And the layoff was even a bigger surprise but they had their scorecard setup to make it happen.

I feel like I've been put in the Jack Welch camp of layoff the 20% or so that don't meet your standard.

The thing is, there is no doubt in my mind I was highly productive last year. I guess I was just chasing my tail.

This has been a good thread but revisiting it is like putting salts in my wound. But it's much like a carcrash, I can't look away.

Thanks for the response, EngineerDave. I am sorry coming back to this particular issue rubbed salt in the wounds, and from some of my past experiences I might have a bit of an understanding of what you are feeling. But of course I am not in your situation so I am sure I don't understand it all. I sure hope your next position is with an organization that treats you better.

debodine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back