Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permanet Magnet Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pansf

Electrical
Apr 29, 2011
CY
we need to replace a PGM pilot ecxiter which has been stored for a long time (demagnedized result)
It is of Alsthom origin for a 60MW brushless rotating diode turbine generator. How do we magnetize it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you asked your local generator/motor rewind shop? KATO had a published procedure many years ago (when they were owned by Reliance Electric) but I can't find a copy. It used a neodymium magnet and outlined identifying north and south poles on both magnets. It worked on a unit at a remote site I worked on but that was many years ago.

SCE had a repair shop in Southern California that for many years did outside repairs, they had equipment and procedures to re-magentize PMG's.

I think EASA has guidelines for it, but not sure of the extent.

Hope that helps, MikeL

We mounted the PMG on an off machine rig for stability. We hooked up a stiff two wire 240 volt supply through thermal manual 50A CB's to the PMG terminals. We then performed a simple very quick manual close - open with the 50 CB . The PMG unit ran up in speed and gained magnetism through the dc offset from the CO operation.

A variation of that procedure is to use a fast acting fuse that blows at near peak current.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back