Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Personal Email prohibited at work 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS4U

Structural
Apr 2, 2007
US
I have a gmail account which I use to email everyone- my family, friends, and some colleagues. I recently started working at a new place, which explicitly says "checking personal email accounts (ie. gmail) is prohibited."

I realize it is partly so I don't download viruses. However, I don't feel comfortable using my work email address for personal use (especially if I end up switching jobs in a few years or something). I have been putting in 9-10 hour days and it's kind of a pain to deal with all of my gmail email at once when I get home.

My question is, how is replying to a few personal email during the day any worse then taking a couple personal phone calls? Is this really "enforceable"? I'll probably talk to the head of IT in the next couple of days about it and see what he has to say.

Don't get me wrong, I love the job and if I can't check my email I will deal with it. It's not so important to me that I am going to run off and quit or anything. It's just a bit of an annoyance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I spend most of my time here while at work. I log-in once in the morning, and leave it logged in the whole day until I go home. I have also forward URLs and print out pages from this site and give them to bosses and managers to let them know the value to be found here. I've never had a problem during my 7yrs visiting here.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Me. I'm always at work.... in fact, it might be useful to log my time on Eng-tips to show that even when I'm home, I'm working.
Not sure if anyone will wear that one, but as a counter offer to "time wasting" it should be good.

JMW

And yet on a Monday morning when I log in there's usually more posts (in the forum I frequent) than Tue-Fri;-).

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I'm always on Eng-Tips at work. Always looking for ideas. You never know when one of these crazy engineer's ramblings will provide a jewel of information.

V

I log on till about 9:30 take coffee break, then after I normaly am busy doing other things till lunch, then I get on for lunch. Then work till 3 or so and then depending on the work load, I will leave eng-tips on till I leave.

I have found a many good gems here. or information that got me headed in the right direction.

Lots of good points - I really like the usage ratings on the bulletin board... Keeps everyone honest

My take is business only on email and do your best for phones. Companies are too damn politically correct and perception is reality (I hate that). You need to maintain traceless squeaky cleanliness.

The computer and all peripherals belong to the company and any press of the keyboard is potentially recorded and could be put in your face. If you want anything on your personal email to become permanent record within your company, go ahead. Even if the policy is not there, it is not a good idea due to the above fact. It is scary how far this could go. Keystroke recorders etc. If they really want to find out more, you can easily give them a gateway to find anything they want to about you. I believe it is best to keep my personal life separate from my job even though I don't have much to hide.

Otherwise keep your laptop available in your car - there's a wifi somewhere nearby during your lunchbreak. Many people work out of a mobile office. Do your personal or very personal duties in it or do them at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back