Petrol station 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeerj

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2014
SY
Hi

Can we weld extra filling pipes to the existing underground gasoline tank ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you proposing to completely purge all trace of vapors from inside the tank so that the attempt to do so does not blow the entire neighborhood sky high?

This question needs to be asked to your local regulatory authorities, and to the original manufacturer of the tank.

I suspect I know what the answer will be, but I will defer that to the official sources.

In theory yes,

In practice/real life probably not. Just too difficult to get a gasoline tank gas free.

No details so no real way to answer this question I'm afraid.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Forget eliminating the vapor internally. Purge with inert gas. Monitor 02. Forced ventilation and topside monitoring of hydrocarbon concentration topside.

The water's a good idea to, but that does create a wastewater disposal problem.

ivymike said:
wouldn't filling the tank with water prevent a successful weld, due to heat transfer issues?

Depending on the position of the welds, the tank could be filled with water, then drain 20% or whatever to get the level below the weld height.

Regardless of your ideas, unless you find a contractor willing to do it, the answer is "no".

That said, I would not waste time worrying about "how", and start looking for "who". The who will know how.

Petrol has this annoying tendency to float on top of the water thus filling it with water doesn't do anything for you. Ditto inert gas is fine, but as soon as you cut a hole in it to weld on your new pipe then it doesn't work.

Thinking some more though, the thing to do is fillet weld on a surface contoured weldolet / nozzle, taking care not to burn a hole in the tank...., then simply drill though slowly using a drill inside the pipe through a valve which you connect directly onto the new pipe. As soon as your drill is through, remove, close valve and connect on as you want.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back