Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe bending software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTmotors

Automotive
Feb 28, 2004
US
Im working on some headers and I need to know how to bend and route the pipes for the pipe lengths. Iv seen of modeling software out there but I can't remember the company. Can anyone help me out?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easiest way that I have found is to use some annealed copper tube, found at plumbing or airconditioning suppliers.
By the time you modelled your engine bay you would have it worked out.
Regards,
MB

Im using full CNC pipebending equipment. If i could find a program that will route them and at the lengths I want then all i have to do is send the data to the programer and out pops my header tubes completely mandrel and one piece.

If we are talking CAD there are lots of 'em. EDS Master Series is pretty good (if user intimidating). Catia V5 is the industry standard. Pro-Engineer is good for powertrain stuff. You could try solid edge solid works. There are plenty of budget 3D cad packages, but i've never really needed to look at them - check out your local computer store (Yes, seriously!)...

Mart

I've been lately constructing turbo exhaust manifolds with SolidWorks 2004. I first modeled mandrel bends and then made a assembly with bends and straight pipes to construct a header. It is very easy and fast way to model a manifold, the only pain is to make the pipe length equal. I know it is possible by some sort of VBA programming, but not very familiar with that yet.

Best Regards:

PlayBoy
"All go, no Show"

I know there is a program that completely constructs a header and makes each pipe just the length you need. You can program it for minimal bends or making the bends with longer then xx radius. Its very comprehensive but... i cant seem to find it...

I think the software you are looking for was developed by a company called spectrum5 located in Utah.

The software wasn't for sale but I saw some impressive demos for an F1 engine for honda.

If you can't find it, send me an email and I will lok for it.

I remeber they gave a presentation at AETC about three years ago.

Jonathan T. Schmidt

TTmotors:

CATIA V5 has a fully parametric application for 3D tubing layout. Strangely enough, it's called "Tubing Design".

You can also layout your header using any CAD system by using curves and points along the tube centerlines. It's the length of the various tube sections that you should be concerned about, so a crude layout of lines and curves should work OK.

Most header designs I've seen are initially mocked-up by hand using "J" and "U" bends. It gets dyno tested, and if it proves satisfactory, a jig (and maybe a drawing) are produced from the prototype. I know it sounds a little un-scientific, but header design is still somewhat of a black art.

Regards,
Terry

Kiitos Mikko,

Nice looking manifold but I thought the tubes looked a bit long? I was under the impression that you want to get the exhaust gasses to the turbo with the least amount of restriction, highest velocity, and the most heat. What is the advantage of your long primary tube length and what about the extra drag, velocity loss and heat loss?? You mention thermal and pressure calculations-- could you share them with us? Thanks, derek

Join us at

hello,

sorry if i will be off topic but i really want to ask something that i didnt found since last year of research. I live in Romania and i just found out this forum site. I have a car 1.6l with 4 pistons, 8 valves. I want to design my own exhaust system but i did not found the pipe. All country and i ave not found a pipe??? i dont know what to do more. I am looking for INOX 50mm diameter and i dont know what thickness to use. 1,5 mm isnt to heavy and to hard modell? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back