Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIPE DRAWING

Status
Not open for further replies.

movia

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2007
GB
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME AS HOW CAN I CREATE THE PIPE DRAWING WITH ALONG WITH THE BEND ANGLE AND TWIST ANGLE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A pipe drawing with bend angle and twist only would be useless; unless you do not intend to manufacture this pipe.

You can bend pipes from 3D geometry, provided you can convey the manufacturing info in an appropriate format.

What sort of application do you use these pipes for?

Basically I have produced pipes using catiav5 using point data,creating the polyline using those points and then using the rib command to sweep the circular profile.Thereby we get the pipe. But the problem is we need to have detail drawing of the pipe.We can create dimensions for the pipe but we need to have bending table as it is the values which is present in bending table that will be fed to the machine to get the required turning angles at particular length of the pipe. Note that we are not using the tubing design for creating the pipes as we are not exposed to it.

If you are not "exposed" to Tubing Design the alternative is a very manual process, whereby you create a coordinates table from your cartesian node points in the pipe.

The problem with this "manual" process is that as a designer you will only know if the pipe you have designed can be made, when production does a trial bend.

Several iterations per pipe will be necessary; model geometry changes -> drawing changes; unless you have got parametric points that means a lot of time and effort.

If you can convince someone in there to be "exposed" to Tubing Design, the process will be slightly simpler; Dassault used to provide a script (report) where the cartesian coordinates where extracted from the model.

Of course the investment only makes sense depending on the volume of pipes to produce and their complexity.

The pipes are used for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back