Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe elbow stress modelling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoojeen

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2009
US
I have ultrasonic data for a thick walled elbow that show the pipe wall thinning (due to errosion / corrosion) however the wall thickness is non-symetrical at various cross sections and is more pronounced in the turn of the elbow. From this data I can develop a 3-D model. I need to identify the maximum principal stresses in the elbow. I have access to ansys and abaqus but there is no basic model for this application in the library of either program. Does anyone know where I can obtain a base model for this application in ansys or abaqus or does anyone recommend another program for this application? Do I superimpose the thermal stress results with the hoop stress results? I have been required to use an FEA program to provide a look at the stress profile but should I pull out my Peng and Peng book and just look at the stresses where the wall thickness is a min?Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a look at API-579/ASME FFS-1. What you are trying to do is considered a "Level 3" analysis.

However, there is such a thing as a "Level 2" analysis which does not require the use of FEA, and is ananalytical approach you can do on a spreadsheet.

I'd start with a Level 2 analysis, and only perform Level 3 if it is necessary.

All the best.

Mr. Steve or Mr. Meyers in the FFS-2 manual they reference a "MAT" - which is a design requirement temperature but it is never defined. Do you know what "MAT" refers to and how it is defined?

thanks
Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back