Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pipe rating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

giuman

Industrial
Apr 3, 2014
IT
Hello everyone!
Can someone explain me what is intended with "rating" of a pipe as per ANSI b16.34?
I understand that for growing pressures and temperatures the pipe should be more resistant..but I really don't understand the true meaning of rating.

Thank you in advance for answering me!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure you've got the right code? 16.34 is valves and is quite clear what "rating" means for valves. There is very little to do with pipe.

JA boomer has it right, but can you be a bit more precise as to the section or wording you're having difficulty with.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

As far I know, the rating/class is just a standard method of specifying the design pressure and temperature of a certain material used for a valve or flange. For example, you can find valves ratings in ASME 16.34, table 2 and flange ratings in ASME B16.5, table II also. For pipes, we don't use ratings, instead material properties are tabulated. Hope you will find it helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back