Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Risers Height 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

birken

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2013
AE
Hi All,
At our gas plant, I have seen some pipes connected to the underground drain with flange connections just inches aboveground (3-5"). Is this a good practice for installing pipe risers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is common because most of the time, buried pipe flange connection is not a good practice. The flange being a restrained joint wont give much flexibility from earth movement, thus will cause stress to the pipeline.

So there is no issue in having flanges so close to the ground? Water accumulation, soil interface causing corrosion?

I have always seen face of flange set at least 12" above top of grade. That's for process or cooling water lines. Drain lines probably aren't as critical.

Exterior, underground compatible, pipe coating should extend up at least 12" above grade. Been a standard forever. The transition zone between water/air, or earth/air is the most critical attack point for corrosion.

OMG%20something%20else.png

These lines under discussion contain process drain.
Where this reference of 12" can be found in order to implement this recommendation?

In this case, piping isometrics mentioning elevation for first flanges of risers are matching the field installation.

Birken,

I don't think you will find this under any code but is often referenced in various Client & Contractor Specification and additional to previous replies there has to be sufficient envelope to insert and remove bolting.

Regards.

Mick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back