Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

pipe support for fighting systems 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimil

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2023
IN
Dear all, please let me know which standard does recommend guidelines regarding pipe support.
Screenshot_2023-10-04_174127_rrqweg.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All any of them just say is that the pipe should be supported where it needs to be.

What exactly are you looking for?
Guidelines tend to be supplied by vendors, large companies, design houses and by what someone has done before.

what is the point of that picture? especially a sit seems to be a "stock" picture.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The design of the pipe supports could be a combined effort of the following groups:
1. piping designer to layout the simple and proper piping routing
2. piping stress analysis to define the required support location, types and loading based on the pipe process conditions and routing
3. civil/structural to design the proper support details based on the surrounding condition and required piping load

NFPA 13 provides requirements for hanger and supports for firewater sprinkler systems. Other firewater piping standards such as NFPA 24 for firewater mains also reference NFPA 13 for supports. Check each firewater piping related standard for specific requirements.

Dear all,
Thanks a lot for reply's, please note that my application is regarding fire fighting systems and the picture show is similar to my application. what my actual requirement is to know which material, what all dimension and which set of standards needs to be followed and which vendor shall be given approval for this. please give me a basic set of idea regarding this.

Materials for any supports are structural steel A36 typically, dimensions are whatever you want, standards are NFPA as I previously indicated, any vendor that can supply pipe supports such as prefabricated hangers (grinnel, anvil) and such to the specifications and industry standards required by NFPA (such as MSS-SP), or basic fabricated type structural supports can be fabricated by a contractor to your specifications.

Nimil,

There are so many different options and site specific issues, no one can design YOUR supports for YOU, or at least not without getting paid to do it.

The options include size of pipe, height above the ground, number of pipes, type of support (sliding, guide, line stop, anchor, hanging etc etc), fixing to the ground or sleeper or from a wall or adding to an existing support, weight of any valves or fire fighting equipment. etc.

So YOU need to do the DESIGN to match YOUR particular circumstances. That's why it's called design.

The starting point is locally applicable building and fire-safety codes.

Generic question, generic answer. We don't even know in which part of the world that this is to be built.

There are guidelines for the distance between supports, but it varies with the size of the pipe. Just google max distance between piping supports and youll get plenty of suggestions.

As to what pipe to use. The kind of pipe we use here where i live is carbon steel medium black. I have an order to complete for a 3" medium black fire hydrant pipe with 6 hydrant valves over an 80 meter stretch...

Piping supports are really not hard to design. They are very simple. Usually simple beam- column systems. You could train a 5 year old to design piping supports. You are overthinking this.

Your stock picture might have answered your question to at least some extent...

That's a pretty complicated looking pipe support in the photo and has the dreaded U bolts.

But I agree, pipe supports should not be complex and can be as simpe as a concrete beam or as complex as a cantilevered sliding spring loaded support

If you dont want to set it into the concrete then just use baseplates with chemical anchors. And u bolts are fine for pipes where you dont have large temperature differences.

Just dont go and use u bolts on condensate, steam or thermal oil lines. You are going to have a bad day.

Supports are commonly mild steel s275 or s355 where I am - if the pipe is mild steel. Just make sure you put good paint on it. And usually its a good idea to colour code pipes according to its contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back