Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pipe thread sealants suitable for low pH solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloriag

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2005
US
Can anyone suggest a suitable thread sealant for the following application: stainless steel piping carrying a low pH (1.6 - 1.8) acid cleaner.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Teflon tape is likely the best way to go, as per SlideRuleEra's post. If it's not suitable for some reason, you could try Xpando. Xpando will seal just about any threaded joint, but the downsides are a 24 hour cure-time, and extreme difficulty in getting the joints apart for modifications or maintenance. Anything with a long cure time can be a problem in that production people want things back in service 15 minutes ago, and often just won't wait.

You may very well be right flyfisher42 - I try to avoid xpando, since I come from a maintenance background. I tend to think of it as the pipe dope of "last resort". Construction & installation folks use it more often, as they typically have the time to wait for it to cure, and won't likely be the ones coming back to work on the system.

Be careful.
Forgot to add that Xpando is a variation on the Oxychloride Cements and contains a goodly percentage of Chloride Ions. This has caused problems with SS pipe especially if the PH gets below 4. We used it on several systems but never on any Austenitic SS.

Good to know, unclesyd - I'll keep the chloride factor mind. We've got a can of Xpando sitting around for dire situations, but try really hard not to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back