Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline Hydrostatic Test Temperature Probe Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlkreed

Chemical
Mar 30, 2017
US
How far from surface piping should buried temperature probes be installed to avoid temperature fluctuation due to ambient temperature change during a hydrotest. I'm trying to specify the location of temperature probes for a buried pipeline hydrostatic test. I've found several sources online that specify the the temperature probes should be buried .5Km from any surface piping. Several people in my company want to place the buried temperature probes within 200 ft of the launcher where the test equipment is located. The temperature probes I'm referring to are the ones that attach to the pipeline. I've also seen references that specify buried temperature probes not attached to pipeline.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't see any benefit going much more than 10m of buried line myself. you're not going to get any significant heating effect beyond that and the water flow is zero.

Making it inside the fenceline of the facility makes sense to me.

For longer lines you need at least a mid point one at a suitable point ( road crossings etc) if you can.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I've recently been completing testing specs and though our company just specifies one buried either end of the test section and the mid-point, most of contractors are putting an additional probe on the line due to the low ground temps and wanting to use water only rather than dealing with methanol. The key is how long the test section is. I agree with little inch that 10m should be plenty. I'm not sure what significant benefit you get from probes not attached to the line other than a reference ground temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back