Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipeline Quantities (Pipe & Fittings etc) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangardner

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2007
GB
I am shortly going to be asked to produce Pipeline Material quantities and am unsure of exactly to the ammounts of material to order up.... ie % of pipeline green, additional fittings, bolts and gaskets etc.

Can anyone point me in a direction of publications etc to assist me.

Many Thanks

Stan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For pipelines I use the square of nominal pipeline size (in inches) to get bbl/1000 ft (i.e., a mile of 10-inch pipe holds 528 bbl of liquid). That empirical equation is a coincidence of conversion factors and constants that works out to about 1-4% higher than using the real volumetric calculation with actual ID.

I assume that the fittings and fabrications fit in that 1-4% and call it good. I've never had a requirement for material inventory that was more precise than that.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

There's different overage recommendations depending on size of project, or length of pipeline. You might want to consider other things, such as where the project is being constructed, difficulty of terrain, how good your route is defined when the order is being placed.

For a small project 10% might be good, say if the pipeline is 0-10 miles long.
For 10 to 100 miles long 4-8%
For 100 to 1000 miles 3-6%

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

In the past, we've done 10% minimum extra on the bulk items like line pipe, fittings, gaskets, bolts, etc. We've been saved by this conservative strategy a few times due to Bill of Material errors. For items that you may only have 5 or 6 of, we'd order an additional one often. It's often subjective..... Luckily the client is okay with the possibility of having a warehouse full of extra components as well.

The % spare varies with materials because of cost. carbon steel is relatively cheap and easy to on sell as it is common. Hence you can be liberal with your %s. A judgement is needed on what the delivery time is if you are short and what that will cost the project. Is it direct labour or a subcontracotr. The latter will hit you up for delays.

Super duplex is relatively costly. All fittings bar coded and identified by spool / isometric. Pipe materials are accurately taken off and accounted for from a 3D model. Hence %ss are kept very low. It is also less easy to on sell for instance a DN650 x 500 Sch80 reducing tee in this material.

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
---B.B. King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back