Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pipes on the dike wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

saliba11

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2006
TR
Hello all,

I have 8, 10 and 14 inch pipe at 80 C.
we are planning to carry these pipes on the dike wall. Each have a connection to process liquid tanks.

Is this a right application. Is there any constraint for carrying pipe on the walll.

thanksin advance

best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A lot depends on the construction of the dike wall and mat.
How thick is the mat??
How wide is the dike wall??
How tall is the dike wall??
What is elevation difference between top of wall and centerline of pipes??
Is the wall reinforced in the area of the proposed supports??
I have previously built a reinforced pedestal as an integral part of the wall. The pedestal had to be sized to allow minuimum of 2 inches of concrete extended past support base plate in each direction. But I limited the pipe size not to exceed 4" nps. Any sizes larger I built reinforced pedestal adjacent to exterior dike wall primarily because of the depth of the support foundation as compared to the mat thickness.
With three large size pipes I would recommend independant pedestal support and not the wall.

STYMIEDPIPER thanks for the reply.

How are the mentioned wall parameters effect the situation.

Is there any calculation method that you can provide for me.

thanks

You should discuss your situation with with a civil engineer.
If new project--discuss with company/individual responsible for wall design.
If existing wall--and not knowing any particulars about it's construction--I would recommend staying away from wall unless you discuss with a qualified civil engineer.

I would anticipate that the spread footer requirements to adequately support your pipes also will require larger reinforcement rods as compared to containment wall.

Of course all that depends on the exact structure, but normally I would not expect to change any footings. The 3 pipes under consideration would not add too much load to a typical dike wall which should have way more than enough rebar to retain the earth or liquid load behind it + a lot of "fat". I'd be tempted to hang each pipe from its own bracket extended from the wall. Usually that will work quite well.

As adding bars in concrete (above or below ground) is not easy work to say the least, if that is required other alternatives such as a completely separate pipe rack should probably be considered. The only easy way to know is to get your hands on the original plans. See your local structural engineer, if in doubt.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back