Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping Bird Screen requirement per Shell DEP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjabhijit

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2011
AE
thread1203-220529

Hello All,

I do not find anything written in Shell DEPs confirming the requirement for bird screens on the open to air PSV outlets.

Do anybody have similar experience on Shell projects? If you know it is mentioned in the DEPs pls direct me to the same.

As per me it is required, however I need to propose the same to Shell however, I need to check if it is already covered in DEP.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure if they are required or not per DEPs, but in my experience I cannot really remember an instance where a screen or weather cap of some kind was not used.

Their purpose warrants their installation in my opinion.

We do a lot of safety valve reviews and part of that is going out, locating the PSVs, drawing as-built isometrics, and taking a ton of pictures and there has not been one that was open to atmosphere so far that I have seen that did not have a screen or cap of some sort. That's not to say they are required, but they are very common.

In my opinion, include them.

Thanks for confirming that you see it all the time. Shell site?
Then it would be wise to ask for but also it will not be surprising for them too...

How is it not covered in DEP or I am not able to find it?

Any Shell DEP expert pls comment back.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

None of the sites I was in were Shell specifically, but during my days in the pipe fabrication shop we would receive projects from Shell and they would have them on their isometrics.

I know this still doesn't answer your question directly about the Shell DEPs but hope it helps.

Thanks DGrayPPD for your quick responses on this issue making me to proceed with the consideration for bird screen.

Still waiting if any DEP / Shell references...

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

My comments as an ex SRV manufacturing guy...Recommended. Why? Too often installers/users leave the manufacturers plug in the bonnet vent hole where a screen is not fitted. I have seen this worldwide. Not all manufacturers caution this on the valve itself, only somewhere in the manual. Some manufacturers have a BUG SCREEN fitted to a 90' elbow in the bonnet vent - that is good practice. It prevents ingress of dirt etc., keeps the vent open, and rather surprisingly stops the valve "whistling"! Yep, I have had this reported years back where the open bonnet vent whistled when a breeze of wind came along.

Per ISO, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back