Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping Certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blawn

Industrial
Aug 4, 2014
RO
Dear All,

Good day!

Kindly give me your thoughts about issuing a piping certificate after inspection.
I have a client asking for a certificate after inspection of an in service piping.
The certificate shall contain parameters stating that the piping is fit for service for a certain duration.
Basically when I'm doing inspection as per API 570,the final documents I'm submitting after inspection is the final report
which contains my inspection findings,evaluation of NDE results and recommendations.

This certificate in my opinion is not a practical document to issue.
Any idea is appreciated,

Thanks and regards,
jb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To state that the piping is fit for purpose an assessment, to some degree, should be completed. Consideration to the possible degradation mechanisms and rates, design load cases and time to the next scheduled inspection would be some of the inputs required.

I'm not sure on your particular circumstances but you may consider reviewing the original design code, API 571 for possible damage mechanisms and API 579 for assessment options.

Thanks for the comments.
I'm actually confused by my client about his requirements and I just don't know how to handle him.I don't want to refused to comply but what I'm afraid is that the "certificate" might create a conflict or legal dispute in the future.

For instance,I found out that the piping is fit for continued service and issued him a certificate.Then lets say after a few months or years a segment of the piping failed, due to some errors by operators or maybe some external forces that acts on the system.The client can easily throw the ball on me and can be a grounds of legal issues.

I don't know how you guys making your inspection report but for me,i just do stick on what the code says.Or please tell me if I'm missing something here.
Cheers!!
jb

Any inspection is only valid on the day it is made. To project into the future is not feasible, however you can assess the rate of corrosion and state when a new inspection should be undertaken.

Thus you say - The piping has been inspected and assessed on (dates) and is currently fit for service. A new inspection is recommended in X years time. Fitness for service beyond the current inspection date cannot be guaranteed or stated.

Then you can talk about all the things Ben Stewart says.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

blawn,
Agree 100% with LI's statement.
As an Inspector you cannot and should not be asked to give a guarantee that anything will be fit for purpose for a specific time.
An Inspector compiles his report and then it goes to an Engineer who takes the information the Inspector has provided and bases his report on that to the Owner.
CCheers,
DD

Great comments from you guys.
Maybe its good not to take the job if my client insists.This might get me into trouble one day.

Thanks a lot!

jb

The entire purpose of API 570 is to determine fitness of a pipe system. Don't take the work if you are not 'comfortable' making a statement about fitness. And yes, it is incumbent on the 570 Inspector to review degradation mechanisms and to establish the date of the next Inspx.

I agree that the wording of the 570 Evaluation cannot promise that the pipe will not possibly fail next week. There have to be 'weasel words' about 'best effort' and 'in accordance with Industry Standards' [570, 571, 579,etc.]

Most likely, your client is paying for the 570 Evaluation/Inspx due to a legal requirement. If you refuse to say "Acceptable", or reject sections for cause [and give repair recommendations] you have defrauded that client. Yet another reason I hate to see an engineer sent out to perform API Inspections. do your best, and make the call -- in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back