Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piston area ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat5

Agricultural
Aug 6, 2016
FR
Consider 2 engines with a 90mm bore.
One has a flat piston
The 2nd has a spherical piston

Will the one with the spherical piston make more torque because there is more piston area ? Or are you supposed to use projected ( so bore) area for this calculation ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pressure acts perpendicular to the surface. While the dome has more area, the resultant forces are not inline with the cylinder and contribute nothing to the torque generated. As only forces inline with the cylinder count towards torque, the cross section area of the cylinder is the only number you need.

When you look at secondary effects, the one with the "spherical" (dome?) shape is probably going to suffer from horrible combustion chamber shape (slower combustion), higher heat loss (more surface area), higher unburned-hydrocarbon emissions (more surface/quench area, more crevice volume), etc., and the piston will probably weigh more. Pistons of that shape are not found on engines of modern design because of all that.

And if it's a true sphere it has only a teeny little bit of contact with the cylinder wall so expect more leakage past the piston seals...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Combustion chamber design is a niche unto itself in the engine design world as torque correlates back to combustion efficiency, which correlate back to charge mixing and the motion of the charge in terms of swirl, squish, and tumble. The massive increase in power density over the last 20 years is largely due to a focus on combustion development and the necessary simulation tools. BTDT, don't let anybody tell you its easy nor done well without spending many millions of dollars.

Well, there is a case for managing charge motion before and during combustion, be it in conventional 4-stroke or 2-stroke otto, and all diesel engines, add to that interacting with fuel spray characteristics in diesel and direct-injected otto engines.
This is the first time I came across an aftermarket piston supplier being cited as an authority on combustion recipe fundamentals. Of course your italics take care of all of the above if you desire.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

Hemi said:
This is the first time I came across an aftermarket piston supplier being cited as an authority on combustion recipe fundamentals

The article simply explains what is obvious to anyone who has done the engineering analysis as I have. Is there some aspect of reduced heat loss, better flame propagation, and less quenching you’d like to refute or are you just going to stick with ad hominem (“a piston manufacturer can’t possibly know what they’re talking about”)? Of course your name does suggest a certain bias. 😂

The ideal combustion chamber is spherical for its low surface area to volume ratio. Other factors dictate departures from that shape.

A true "hemi" would have flat piston crowns BTW.

je suis charlie

gruntguru said:
A true "hemi" would have flat piston crowns.

Hemispheres, on the other hand, are domed. I have been unable to find a photo of heavily domed pistons when googling "formula one piston" or "NASCAR piston." What I keep finding are flat pistons with shallow cutouts for the massive valves those engines use.

Those are Ferrari pistons which are the least flat I've seen in F1. Regardless, they're still pretty flat compared to what I call a "domed piston."
Capture_m4dqjs.jpg

RodRico said:
Hemispheres, on the other hand, are domed. I have been unable to find a photo of heavily domed pistons when googling "formula one piston" or "NASCAR piston." What I keep finding are flat pistons with shallow cutouts for the massive valves those engines use.
My interpretation is that a spherical combustion chamber compresses the gas into a sphere and a hemispherical chamber compresses the gas into a hemisphere - which would require a flat piston crown.

je suis charlie

The ideal combustion chamber is spherical for its low surface area to volume ratio. Other factors dictate departures from that shape.

I was waiting for someone to tell us what the rest of the chamber looked like, but if flat tops are ideal for all fuel and ignition systems then the other surfaces’ shape must not matter either. 😜

Maybe a sphere might be "ideal" if it were not for charge turbulence and the inability to get the spark plug dead center in the sphere.

Two-stroke engines are unconstrained by having to accommodate intake and exhaust valves. The cylinder head of the last generation of Yamaha TZ250 Grand Prix racing motorcycles looks like this:
The pistons are plain flat top, not having to accommodate valve reliefs, and the port angles take care of directing the scavenging flow.

Slightly different:
That is a lower revving, longer stroke, direct-injection, turbocharged, lower compression two-stroke. Pistons are still flat. But the combustion chamber in the head is much deeper and the injector is dead-center pointing straight down with the spark plug off to the side a little - probably in the interest of keeping the direct-injected fuel in the vicinity of the spark plug for easier ignition.

As soon as you have to accommodate valves in the head, can't do it that way any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back