Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastic Deformation of Beam Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

murcott

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2014
GB
I am trying to model plastic deformation of a beam model in FEMap. I have set the model up in the same manner described in the examples tutorial "Plastic Deformation of Rod - Nonlinear Material" which uses rod elements. Rod elements will retain the plastic deformation, but when I change them to beam elements, the plastic deformation is not retained and the mesh behaves elastically, even though the stresses exceed the yield of the material.

I understand that beam elements will not function as 'Non Linear Elastic' but should do under 'Bi'Linear' and 'Geometric Non Linear' settings.

Has anyone run a plastic analysis of a beam model in FEMAP before, and could they explain what I doing wrong or missing ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello!,
With the basic nonlinear module of NX NASTRAN (SOL106) for the CBEAM the only nonlinear material available is elastic-perfectly plastic. The material specified on a MATS1 Bulk Data entry should be elastic-perfectly plastic. Use of any nonlinear material other than elastic-perfectly plastic will give inaccurate results. And of course, only CBEAM element support material nonlinearities, the CBAR is not supported at all.

nonlinear-elements-sol106_yqvqkz.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help and suggestions. I'll try what Blas has suggested first, although I think i've tried using those material settings to no avail. Failing that, I'll try the approaches suggested by FEMACAE and rb1957.

Cheers.

Murcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back