Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plastics--Perfumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdc02254

Aerospace
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Can anyone tell me why plastics are not used for perfume bottles/dispensers?, plastics are used for atomizers but not bottles.

What are the problems?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the price you pay for an ounce of perfume, people expect heft and appearance, which requires glass.

It's been proven that heft is associated with willingness to valuate at higher cost.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks,

I was told that plastics are not used for perfume bottles because it spoils/contaminates the perfume. But as I said atomizers are made of plastic.

How would I get some kind of proof of this, who could I speak to?.

Many thanks

Most plastics will not spoil the perfume but you may need good barrier properties to stop the air (oxygen) from getting inside and ruining the perfume over time. Glass is a better barrier to oxygen than plastic hence an advantage for glass.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

Hello CDC02254,

I hope you enjoyed it. I did the whole thing myself, meaning that it's functional but not amazing. As long as people can find it and get some interesting information then it's a success.

Let me know if you need further help with the perfume bottles. I can put you in contact with some people that can probably help.

Hello,

I would recommend that you contact Norner ( They used to be the R&D center for Borealis (huge polyolefins company) and are now independent. They have people experienced in packaging and plastics. As a starting point ask to speak to Elina Myhre (a personal friend).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back